WE MOVED TO FLORIDA! 3 Things I learned about a Statewide Move with Kids!

 WE MOVED TO FLORIDA! 3 Things I learned about a Statewide Move with Kids! 

Last night we took our dogs & kids (really just all our children 😂) on a stroll before bedtime and it truly hit me as we turned a corner and saw two gorgeous homes beautifully landscaped with palm trees, we were living in Florida. We had done that same casual walk so many times before in New Jersey. Many times talking, dreaming, and planning our move while doing that walk too, I am sure! 

So I wanted to recap for y'all - how did it actually go? Three months later as of yesterday and I am processing it all!!!



1. It took way more emotional energy than I expected

I was honestly prepared for the physical energy this move would take - I thought ahead about interrupting our routine - including sleep - nutrition, and having to find a new place for literally every item we own. BUT I totally underestimated the emotional energy I would exert saying goodbye to family, friends, and neighbors. With a major move, the goodbyes started early in order to squeeze in lots of friends, and for me each one came with tears! Ugh! I wear my heart on my sleeve! The goodbyes ended AFTER the actual move technically since my Dad flew down with us to help us get settled - so this piece was long, painful, and the most draining for me. I won't sugarcoat it! 

Ready to board! 
To recover I gave myself lots of grace - I was hungrier, needed more rest, and even just watched TV (strange for me) just to unwind and get out of my own head for a minute. I made sure the kitchen and kids rooms were set up quickly but after that we took our time and settled in slowly!! 



2. Kids are way more resilient than we give them credit for

I felt awful that Ava saw me crying so many times as we prepped for the move with goodbyes, I thought for sure it would rub off on her. It didn't! She kept looking at me like I was crazy, saying things like, "Mom, we're moving to FLORIDA. This is going to be awesome, it's okay!" 

The night we arrived, she needed me to sleep with her in her bed. After the first night, she was fine! She made friends on our street quickly and she loves playing outside, swimming at the pools, and her new school! I had so much anxiety over sending her to a new school I had limited information on but my worries were totally unnecessary, she is doing great! 


3. Prioritize getting to know your new place & new people! 

I mentioned that we took our time settling in! It was summer, I had both baby MJ and Ava home with me during the weeks, and I wanted to give them lots of fun experiences before school started! We spent a lot of time outside getting to know our neighbors, at the neighborhood pool, checking out new restaurants, or cruising around in our golf cart to explore! While I do think decorating and making the inside of our home homey is also important, the more familiar our brand new area felt, the more at home it feels too! This was vital for both me and Matt and the kids! 

Comments