Monkey Mix: Homemade Crockpot Trail Mix!

Monkey Mix: Homemade Crockpot Trail Mix!

I LOVEEEEE TRAIL MIX! It is one of my "go to" snacks especially towards the end of the week when I tend to be really hungry. However, it is EXPENSIVE and sometimes there is a good amount of butter, syrup, or sugar involved in these things. 

So, I saw a recipe to make it yourself and I figured why not give it a try?! Here is what I used:

2 1/4 cup walnut halves
1 cup peanuts
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/3 cup coconut sugar
4 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups banana chips
3/4 cup chocolate chunks 

Notes:

- I used walnuts and peanuts for two reasons. I knew I wanted two different kinds of nuts for nutritional value but I also wanted  ones that were not a ridiculous price. These two were the cheapest, and the bags were big enough that I can get a whole second serving out of them for batch #2!

- If you have NO idea what coconut sugar is or looks like, no worries, neither did I! Here is what I found: 

Directions:
1. Mix everything together in the crockpot

2. Cook on LOW for about one hour, stirring occasionally. You want to make sure the melted coconut oil and vanilla get mixed over everything and combined well with the sugar.

3. Spread out onto a pan covered with parchment paper and let it cool!

4. Enjoy!


Notes:

Definitely had a blonde moment with this recipe. Next time, the chocolate SHOULD NOT GO IN UNTIL AFTER COOKING. You see, chocolate melts my friends :) Lucky for me, I love chocolate so I am okay with my trail mix lathered in it but it is way messier to eat and just does not look as pretty. Otherwise, I think this recipe is a winner! 

Taking a big baggie of it on our upcoming trip to snack on instead of airplane food! Enjoy! 




Comments

Post a Comment